If you have an existing business, or you are proposing a new business activity, and that activity generates liquid waste that is discharged to the sewerage system, then it is a legal requirement that you lodge a Liquid Trade Waste Application with Council. If liquid trade waste is produced but not discharged to the sewerage system Council still need to be notified.
If your business activity only discharges to the sewer from toilets, hand wash basins and showers then you do not need to lodge a Liquid Trade Waste Application.
Council regulates liquid trade waste dischargers so waste does not:
- Cause problems for the sewage treatment process.
- Compromise the health and safety of council workers
- Damage Council’s infrastructure and assets.
- Significantly increase maintenance costs.
- Overflow the sewerage system.
- Cause significant odour complaints.
- Harm the environment.
- Harm public health and safety.
- Degrade effluent and biosolid quality and management.
Liquid Trade Waste Producers
Common types of business activities in Cowra that require a Liquid Trade Waste Approval include:
- Takeaway food premises
- Cafes / Bakery’s
- Mechanical workshops
- Truck depots
- Car wash / detailers
- Child care centres
- Panel beaters
- Service Stations
- Equipment Hire, maintenance and cleaning
- Lawnmower repairs
- Motorcycle repairs
- Function centres
- Dry Cleaners
- Glass manufacturers
- Metal processing
- Optical services
If you are unsure about the trade waste requirements of your business, please contact Council’s Infrastructure and Operations Department on (02) 6340 2085. A Council officer will assist you in determining whether you need to lodge an application.
If your business discharges a liquid trade waste to the sewerage system, this waste will generally need to undergo a process of pre-treatment before it is discharged. As a condition of Council’s Liquid Trade Waste Approval for your business, your business will need to have installed all required pre-treatment devices.
The type of pre-treatment devices that are required for your business will depend on the nature of the business activity, the contaminants in the liquid trade waste, and the volume and strength of the liquid trade waste.
Common types of private business activities in Cowra and the types of pre-treatment typically required for each activity are listed below:
- Restaurants / Food Premises – Grease trap / sink screens / floor waste baskets
- All types of Mechanical repairs – Oil separators / fixed screens / settlement pits
- Motels / Hotels / Clubs – Grease trap / sink screens / floor waste baskets
- Car Washing / Detailing – Oil separators / fixed screens / settlement pits
- Hairdressers / Beauticians – sink screens, floor waste baskets
Council’s Technical Services Team can provide further advice on the type of pre-treatment devices that will be needed to ensure your business complies with all Liquid Trade Waste requirements. Please contact Council’s Technical Officer - Compliance on (02) 6340 2085.
Fees and Charges
If your business discharges liquid trade waste to the sewerage system, the following fees will apply:
1. Application Fee
The application fee is currently set at $88.00 in accordance with Council’s 2016/2017 Revenue Policy. The same application fee applies to all businesses lodging a Liquid Trade Waste Application.
2. Renewal Fee
An approval is valid for 5 years. A renewal fee of $44.00 applies for businesses with an existing approval to renew the approval.
3. Annual Trade Waste Fee
The annual trade waste fee covers the cost of Council carrying out inspections of your business premises to ensure that you are complying with conditions of your approval. Your business will be charged one of the following fees, set in accordance with Council’s 2016/2017 Revenue Policy, depending on the nature of your business activity:
- Category 1 Discharger - $94.00 – this fee applies to dischargers requiring minimal pre-treatment with low impact on the sewerage system. For example – Florists, beauticians.
- Category 2 Discharger - $188.00 – this fee applies to dischargers with prescribed pre-treatment. This is the most common category for businesses in Cowra. For example – restaurants & food premises, mechanical workshops, motels & hotels and car washes.
- Category 3 Discharger - $630.00 – this fee applies to larger dischargers requiring more complex pre-treatment. For example – large industrial businesses.
Annual Usage Charge
The annual usage charge is calculated based on the total volume of liquid trade waste that your business discharges to the sewerage system. This charge covers the cost of treating the liquid trade waste at Council’s sewage treatment plant.
To calculate the total volume of liquid trade waste, it will be assumed (based on guidelines developed by DPI Water) that a certain percentage of your daily average water consumption is liquid trade waste. This is calculated from your water meter reading.
Council’s 2016/2017 Revenue Policy sets a usage charge of $1.65/kL for businesses that have installed the required pre-treatment devices, and $15.10/kL for businesses that have not installed the required pre-treatment devices or is discharging in non-compliance with conditions of approval. (One kL equals 1000 litres)
If your business is discharging a liquid trade waste to the sewerage system without an approval, or in non-compliance with the conditions of an approval, your business is committing an offence and Council has legal powers to issue a fine, penalty notice, clean-up notice or prevention notice. Council also has the legal power to revoke your approval or disconnect your sewerage service.
If you are unsure as to whether your business requires a Liquid Trade Waste Approval, or you would like further information about liquid trade waste in general, please contact Council’s Infrastructure and Operations Department on (02) 6340 2085.